Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mourning the Loss


of my boys' hair today...



one day after a call home to come pick up my sons because they contracted lice. Neither my brother or I ever got lice as kids and I was at a complete loss of what to do or where to start, other than knowing that I wanted to avoid chemical treatments and use a natural remedy of some sort.



Just thinking ahead to all of the extra loads of laundry, head treatments, vacuuming of furniture, etc. in my immediate future made my own head swirl and I embarrassingly shed a few tears in the secretary's office as she gathered some brochures for me to take home. I can't even remember the last time I cried previous to that, so I guess my emotions bottled up and I was due.



Once home, I posted my dilemma on facebook and received several instant helpful responses and emails on how to tackle this beast. It was unanimous amongst my fellow mommy friends that the boys' should get brush cuts pronto. Two reliable sources suggested vaseline as the mode of suffocating the bugs. Perfect, we had that already. I did make a quick trip down the road to the drug store for shower caps for nighttime and a special nit picking comb.



This morning I was dreading combing through their scalps searching for any remnants of the critters. I can't stand creepy crawlies! Christian and Griffen were so cooperative as I ran the faucet over their head and managed to get as much greasy vaseline out as possible. Next I grabbed my trusty new tool and went to work looking for either the actual bugs or the eggs. I couldn't find a single thing on either boy! Pierre hadn't seen anything when he shaved their heads yesterday either.



The principal told me to bring them in this morning for a follow up inspection and both of them passed. Christian got the all clear and Griffen did have one elusive live bug left (which was then removed), but no eggs and was ok to return to class. He will be getting one additional treatment this evening, just in case.


This had to happen a few short weeks before the Fall pictures that we are having taken. I don't know how much growing can happen in that amount of time, but it's one of those things that's completely out of my control.



What good sports these guys are! At least they had each other to go through it with.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I so feel for you! BUT, it's a good thing your boys have nice heads to go with their cute faces, hair does grow back AND those creepy crawlers haven't been spotted on the girls!! Your fall pictures will hold special memories of this experience...one day you can all look back at them and laugh! Good job Mama for getting after those bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to stay strong mama!! I can only imagine how upsetting and gross it must have been, but way to stay focused and get the job done. Hopefully it will be the last you see of those little buggers!

    At least the boys look equally adorable with and without hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Shanz, I'm impressed. Don't know that I could have handled it that well. In talking to others, including my hairdresser, guess this is the rule rather than the exception. Everyone I talked to has experienced this at least once if not more. Way to go my lovely daughter.

    ReplyDelete