
Griffen on his 2nd birthday-March 2006
This little sweater, so vibrant and full of color, is something of an heirloom at our house. I smiled as I put it on my youngest child this week and remembered how each of her three siblings before her have worn it at one point as well. Boy, girl, boy,girl... each one looking every bit as sweet as the next.
People seem to assume it was handmade especially for us, but really it was just a wonderful find at Gap many moons ago, that has endured many a washing. I have always loved to reminisce about the past and this adorable, hand-me-down piece of our toddler wardrobe never fails to remind me of just that.
My oldest is 9 and a half now and fast becoming a "tween," but picturing him back in this tiny sweater brings memories of his cute baby self with the mushroom haircut, the one in mind when purchasing this item in the first place. Then I think of my irresistible, tow-headed daughter, the child whose personality was then and is now, as colorful as the sweater was on her back. Next, I look at pictures of my younger son, more reserved than our others, wearing this special shirt on the occasion of his 2nd birthday. I laugh, recalling how hysterical he became at the sight of the candles lit up on his cake that night. He wanted no part of celebrating until they were removed. Back to modern day, I watch as my 23 month old baby girl runs and hops about joyfully in the front yard, barely stopping long enough for me to snap a few photos of her in the keepsake sweater. Photos that we hope will one day trigger memories for her mom to be able to look back and tell her about the days when she was nearly 2.
Camille yesterday-23 months-Oct.2009
So, there you see, how a simple sweater can be so special and sentimental to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment