Friday, November 19, 2010

Belated Baptism



In July, at 5 weeks old, Danika Rose was baptized.


She was tiny and incredibly sweet, sleeping right through her big moment. To be honest, I was not looking forward to the fact that we were doing the baptism during the Sunday mass (rather than after), but I have to say that it turned out wonderfully. I thought I would be embarrassed up in front of such a large crowd, but it was my daughter's special day and I was able to be in the moment and feel blessed by it.



The always smiling,Father Peter

After church, Danika's godparents had planned a special reception. It was time to celebrate! These two went above and beyond- renting and decorating a hall backing onto a park, organizing a super-sized potluck with a bunch of our favorite families and ordering a beautiful cake for the occasion. We had a gorgeous, sunny day and were able to eat a delicious meal in the air-conditioned hall and then the 40 of us headed outside where we visited, watched the kids play the afternoon away and indulged in some of the fancy cake & ice cream too.


Godparents Christine and Guy



Our friend Shelley holding Danika


Camille with babysitters extraordinaire, Stephen and Joseph


Little cuties Lucy and Mary-Frances



James, Griffen and Brigitte


Jude, Matthieu and Christian



The men played some b-ball.




The boys played a game of road hockey.



The food was outstanding. We all went back for seconds!




Cutting Danika's Cake.


Just as everyone was about to head home, I heard screams and walked outside to watch 20 kids running as fast as their legs could carry them away from a treed area of the park. A hive of crazed hornets were hot on their trails. It was surreal- it could have been a scene out of a movie. 12 boys (who had been climbing trees) were stung, some multiple times. Thank goodness no one was allergic. We felt so bad. These guys were brave, but there were tears and obviously some pain. I doubt anyone will forget the day of Danika's baptism!!



Bubbles, balloons and the trees where the bees lived.

2 comments: