Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

1. What a dreary week weather-wise. Wet, windy and overcast with no end in sight. On the plus side it is now very green here. What a relief that Christian's soccer game an hour away was cancelled due to poor field conditions from all the rain last night as was practice the night before that. It's no fun to drive, play or stand on the sidelines when it's soggy. We've found the weeknights getting busier with activities popping up left and right, meaning some of us are always on the go, so a couple of nights in a row at home together have been so welcome.

2. In a few days I am going on a weekend getaway. I am so lucky to have a sister-in-law whom I also consider a cherished friend and terrific travel buddy on occasion. We are meeting half-way, each arriving by train and staying in a nice hotel in the downtown of a bustling city. With everything within walking distance, we have all kinds of fun plans for meals, shopping and entertainment. I can't wait.

3. I read at an early age and grew up with an appetite for books, but as an adult my interest has dwindled. Much like my taste in movies, I can't do edge of your seat page turners or anything too sad or dramatic, which limits my choices. I read in bed and like peaceful thoughts as I am drifting off. Recently, I found an author that I am loving by the name of Debbie MacComber. Her books are a great fit for me and she happens to be from my home state. These stories are a little romantic, but not mushy, have a good message and many take place in Washington. Some of her stories have been made into Hallmark movies. I sure hope she keeps on writing for a long time to come.

4. Registration for Camille to start school was supposed to be months ago, but I have been torn and am undecided to this day as to what to do. She won't turn 4 until after school starts in the Fall, but that is how early they start children in elementary school here. There are 3 different options I am looking into and each day I am hoping that I will wake up feeling certain of which direction to go in, but so far, that hasn't happened.

5. We had our house for sale for 4+ months last spring and summer. The home had to be ready to show at all times despite having a newborn, a 2 year old and 3 active older kids. Good memories, ha! At the time we had big plans and a home, school and work all lined up in the new location, but in the end we didn't have any offers to buy. We figured the timing wasn't right and decided to postpone the move until Pierre retires. Now, almost a year later, some people who came through during an open house last summer are suddenly very interested in buying this place. They have stopped by, left their contact info with us and also called. They are serious, and we would love to be able to sell without agent fees, and yet we are no longer in position. Too little, too late. Our house down south is rented for the foreseeable future, Pierre is nicely settled in back at work here and we have gotten used to the idea of spending a few more years in this area. This turn of events kind of threw us off though, it was so unexpected and out of the blue!

6. Pierre and I had a great evening out on Saturday. We met up at some friends' home for Italian night. I made my friend Molly's manicotti recipe, it's always tasty, as were all the other dishes. We visited the night away. We are winding down with only two more hosts to go before we have all had our chance. We've had Caribbean, French-Canadian, Thai, Mexican, Appetizers, and Italian...wonder what's next?

7. I just filled out our census form online. It's required by law to do so. The questions and all the options provided are just another in-your-face example reminding us how very far society has drifted from traditional marriages and families. I find it to be a very sad sign of the times!

8. We have gotten through Fall, Winter, and now most of Spring without illness. A true blessing to a mama of many. It was our best year yet. I find it quite an amazing feat with 7 people in the household.

9. I am selective when it comes to my kids and the computer, but I came across a super math program online that I'm excited about and want to share. It quizzes on every section of the curriculum in whatever order they choose, until they are proficient. There is both a Canadian and U.S. curriculum, so click on your flag and whatever grade level you want to start at (jk-8 so far). I made accounts for my older three. Christian and Gabrielle are determined to beat the entire site, so they have been working through ALL the grade levels by choice - refreshing skills in some cases and working way ahead in others. I found out that Gabrielle is a whiz in geometry and has worked past an 8th grade level in that area. They are all good at math, but this program reinforces what they learn during school in a fun way and explains if they get a question wrong. You can test out the site as a parent to see if you like it, but after a bit you will have to register to continue (for 3 kids it costs me $13/month) and you can cancel anytime. So far, it is well worth it for us! http://www.ca.ixl.com/ Let me know if anyone else signs up and how you like it.

10. Have a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment